Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back in the Saddle!

I'm having an open house this weekend. That means I need to prepare snacks for my guests. The problem is what to serve. I like to bake my own sweets as opposed to purchasing. I don't like cookie dough that comes in rolls or O R E Os. They are just not my thing. So, what is a girl to do when she doesn't feel like doing anything. She seeks the counsel of friends.

To the left of this post, you'll see a line up of all stars. Each offers something unique and different. My favorite (yes, I'm biased) is the Oatmeal Cookie Guy. Here's someone who is passionate about what he does. His blog is insightful, imaginative and funny. And the pics look absolutely delicious. Well, Greg has been encouraging me to try a recipe. Deciding to try a recipe was easy. Choosing which recipe to try was hard. They all sound so good. I went for the Chocolate Sea Salt. The only problem was I didn't have any sea salt. It's okay. Improvisation is the number one spice in my kitchen.

I baked a test batch last night and froze the rest to bake off on Saturday. To borrow a phrase from Greg, these were totally bring-inable. My co-workers loved them.

Tonight, I will post Greg's recipe and my recipe and a picture if I can find my camera.

What else would you like to see on my table at the open house? I'm thinking of offering up my own baked or fried tortillas w/salsa (maybe homemade) and some sort of crab dip. Anyone got any good recipes. Let me know please!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Alicia! I have a really simple recipe for guacamole. I call it my "3 Ingredient Guac." It's more of a ratio than a recipe:

1 avocado + juice of 1 lime + pinch of salt

I like my guac smooth, so I smoosh it around a lot. I mix everything together on a dinner plate, use a fork to combine/smoosh, then I transfer to a bowl.

You can add cilantro if you like. (I could only find parsley at my store when I came up with the "recipe," so I decided to leave the herby stuff out.)

Have an awesome open house!