Thursday, July 24, 2008

Old Mother Hubbard Went to the Cupboard

If you're in your 30s, you should know the rest. I was thinking about today's post as I stared at my lunch. You see it was a pantry (cupboard) meal. Last night after a late meeting, MJ and I were hungry. He was going to have leftovers and I'd have none. There wasn't enough for the both of us. So, I started thinking what am I going to do. It was before 11 PM so I could have called Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut or any number of joints specializing in quick Asian cuisine. Well, lack of funds prevented that.

I glanced at the counter and saw my mise en place for dinner which I didn't get to cook b/c of said meeting. Hmmm, I can boil some pasta to eat tonight and have for lunch tomorrow. My mise en place consisted of a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, dried onions, garlic, salt, pepper, fennel seed, rosemary, Italian seasoning, sugar and red wine. A plan was forming. We had some cheese and pepperoni in the fridge. While the pasta boiled, I sliced the pepperoni. It was the last of a stick we'd bought for flatbread pizza. My colander was in the sink waiting to be washed so I transferred my cooked noodles to a baking dish. I then drained the water from my pot and added my tomatoes, wine, herbs and spices. Ten minutes later, my house smelled as if I had been slaving over a hot pot all day. I poured the sauce over the noodles stirred them together and topped it all with the cheese and pepperoni. I baked it for 10 minutes to melt the cheese. Voila, a tasty pizza casserole for about $4.'

Yeah, it only cost about $4 to make. I have been looking for ways to decrease my grocery bill yet maintain the taste level that my family has grown accustomed to. I was pleased when I had lunch today. How about you? Have you come up with inexpensive and tasty meals? What are some of your faves? Please share!

1 comment:

Red and Blue said...

That sounds delicious! And it sounds like something I could make for blue_wagon too (he doesn't eat cheese) so I could just put cheese on half. Yummy!