Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

Well, I did absolutely nothing. I had high hopes that I would whip up delicious dishes to put in my freezer. I would make batches of cookies and other treats to bring to my friends at work. I just never happened. The slacker in me took over. I took two or three naps a day while watching who's the baby daddy on Maury Povich. I saw hour after hour of the NFL Networks Top Ten. As a matter of fact, I rarely left my home. The longest trip we took was a four hour excursion to the emergency room. MJ contracted a really bad case of swimmer's ear. This from a guy who can't swim. Go figure.

I was talking to CD this morning. And we were discussing marinades and spices. He gave me a recipe for adobo sauce that I will try. That led us to my true dilemma. My spice rack is sorely lacking. There was a time when I had a wealth of dried herbs and spices to choose from. Now, we only have the bare minimum. Could this be the source of my discontent? Would a trip to Penzeys or World of Spice (Philly) be in order? Or at least a trip down the international food aisle for a little multicultural inspiration. I'll let you know what it will be.

In the meantime, my vacation is over. What meals shall I prepare as I ponder my spicy dilemma? The freezer is full of steak, chicken and shrimp. I know tonight I'll be prepping a whole chicken for a crockpot meal. I'm really looking forward to that. I'm thinking that a ceasar (sp) salad with steak might be a welcome change for us.

What are you spices of choice? What can't you live without? What spice were you introduced to that surprised you? What flavors inspire you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Alicia!

Ha! Listen to you: "I took two or three naps a day while watching who's the baby daddy on Maury Povich." If I had been drinking anything when I read that, it most certainly would have been sprayed all over my laptop. Maury should buy DNA tests in bulk!

But seriously... Recently I was inspired by a restaurant meal--a mexican lasagna stuffed with chicken and corn--to make my own homemade twist. I used new chipotle-flavored Old El Paso taco seasoning. It has a great smoky/spicy flavor. I layered the cooked, seasoned meat between tortillas, Monterey Jack cheese, and some chipotle salsa. I baked it in the oven until the top layer of cheese was browned and a little crispy. Super yummy, but a tad salty. I probably should have cut back a little on the cheese and salsa.

AJ said...

I so have to try this. What kind of tortillas did you use?