Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Favorite Days

My favorite day of the year happens to be my birthday. What's not to love? Generally, there's cake and a meal at somewhere I love. This year, we celebrated early and out of town. Had dinner at a nice Japanese steakhouse in Richmond. And birthday cake with family in my hometown.

Halloween is also a big day for me. I love seeing little kids (some adults) dressed in their costumes parading around for everyone to see. Okay, the real reason I like it is because there's a lot more candy available at a great price esp. Nov. 1st. There's a sense of nostalgia around the day as well. I'm able to find childhood treats that stores don't regularly sell. And if they do sell them, they make them difficult to find. I love Peanut Butter Kisses, Mary Janes and Chick-O-Sticks. This is funny b/c I hate Butter Fingers. I really don't like those or Baby Ruths. Then there's the Kraft Caramels. You can find them all year round, but you'll pay a premium. Then there's my favorite, candy corn. You either love it or hate it. I LOVE IT!!

What are you putting out for the little ghouls this Halloween? I'm making little bags of candy filled with the bounty I bought yesterday at CVS: Twizzlers, Starburst, Hershey bars, Milky Ways, Reese's cups, etc. What are your favorite candies? And your favorite days?

5 comments:

beej said...

MMMMM - I love the peanut butter kisses!! My son doesn't like them so back in the day when he went TorT I got to eat his (without sneaking!).
You're right,candy corn is a love it or hate it thing - I hate it.
Hope you had a great birthday, sounds fun!

Angry Asian said...

i haven't had to hand out candy in a loooong time... living in the city does that... either i lived in a yuppy part of town with no kids around or in an apartment building that again... housed no kids. i miss it tho.

i'll be working friday night but i am getting off at 10... i might do some tricks for my treat! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) birthday!!

AJ said...

Thank you! It was a blast!

Anonymous said...

Halloween is my favorite holiday. We go out with the Godkids and their family so we don't buy candy to give out. I'd go for butterfingers if I could. We have a wonderful candy store near here which sells all sorts of stuff you can't find anywhere else (all sort of vintage candy). Love that place.
And happy belated birthday.