Monday, September 22, 2008

My Mailbox Runneth Over

I know what you're wondering what a mailbox has to do with cooking. It's simple. I received two great food related packages in the mail this weekend. One was from Lan over at Angry Asian Creations and the other came from Greg, The Oatmeal Cookie Man. From Lan, I received the cutest package containing a beautiful card w/a handwritten message, handmade soap, a crocheted bookmark, and three types of ramen. I can't wait to try them. The card is going into my scrapbook. I think the bookmark will go in there as well as it is very pretty. I picked up Greg's box this morning. I made myself late for work. Was it worth it? You bet. Inside the package was a container filled to the brim with his Coffee Cake Cookies. These tasty gems are worth making and sharing with your friends. Be careful though these are really good you might find yourself hording them and locking them away for yourself. I will post pictures of these edible and non-edible delights soon.

I received my gift from Lan as she was paying forward someone else's kindness. She asked that I do the same in return. If you're reading this post, I will send out care packages to the first three people who make a comment to this post. I just ask that you pay it forward.

Have you performed any random acts of kindness recently? It could be something as simple as opening a door for someone with a heavy load. What acts of food kindness do you perform? Do you prepare meals for a grieving family or new parents? Are you the neighbor who heads over with fresh muffins or cookies when a new neighbor moves in? If not, give it a try and see if it doesn't brighten someone's day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Alicia! I'm so glad you liked the cookies. :-) Count me in for Pay It Forward (PIF)!

AJ said...

Greg-I will be sure to do that for you. I keep looking at them and telling myself that I should wait until after lunch.

Anonymous said...

:-) Yay! I could go for a cookie right now. I had a bag of "Veggie Crisps" for lunch (green potato chips masquerading as spinach...or something).

AJ said...

I had a Mama Celeste that left more than a little something to be desired. I can't wait to get home. We're having shredded beef nachos for dinner. I need to get some more salsa or some green chiles, sour cream and some coffee ice cream to complete our meal.

Anonymous said...

Ok...you just made up my mind for me. I'm making tacos for dinner! I'm soooo happy it's 4:15.

AJ said...

I've got an hour and fifteen left.

Angry Asian said...

aj -
so glad you liked the parcel! do let me know what you come up with the ramen noodles. also, i guess it could be used as a bookmark but really, it was supposed to be a bracelet. wasn't there a button sewn on with a slit on the other side?

AJ said...

Aha! It does have a button. Gee, you're my second person to post. Shall I send a package your way?

Anonymous said...

I love it when I get goodies in the mailbox!
I take bits of what I make to my mom (she lives near me but doesn't drive). I also take leftover baked goods to work to give to my assistant and drivers.

As for little acts of kindness, our latest is giving pre-season hockey tickets to our friends who usually can't afford going to a game. I remember friends doing that for me years ago so I guess that is a bit of a pay it forward!