Wednesday, May 14, 2008

MMMM! LEFTOVERS!

Now, that's something you may not hear everyday. Many people I know don't like leftovers. I couldn't tell you what it is. I certainly don't understand it as I prefer leftovers. The flavors in a dish have had a chance to really get to know one another. Think about it. Mom's spaghetti was really good the first day, but pull it out of the fridge and warm it the next day and the flavors are truly amazing. It's the same dish yet a little different. Meatloaf is my favorite entree. I almost prefer this dish as a leftover. Warm meatloaf falls apart (nothing wrong with that). Cold meatloaf you can cut into slices easily to make a sandwich. Served on Texas toast with some extra sharp cheddar, bacon slices, and ketchup or bbq sauce. Now, that's good eating.

Here's the bigger question with leftovers. Who says you have to have it the same way the next night? Leftover roast beef can become French dip sandwiches. I like make pulled/chopped chicken bbq with a roasted hen. Fried chicken can become the main ingredient in a salad. I know that I in these uncertain economic times I will have to get more bang for my culinary buck. Heaven knows my mother, my grandmother and my aunts have been doing it for years. Leftover rice and bread became puddings. Ham bones became the basis for a pot of beans or greens.

I'm looking forward to tonight's dinner. Leftover spareribs and mac and cheese. I'll have to tell you about my cheater's mac and cheese some other time. What are your meal makeover options? Do leftover chickpeas become falafel or creamy hummus?

No comments: