Thursday, May 1, 2008

Return of the French Toast

Finally, I made the french toast dinner. It was everything that breakfast for dinner should be. We had bacon and 'home fries' to go with it. The bacon was thick cut Oscar Mayer. I don't remember ever having it quite like this. It was meaty, chewy, salty and delicious. The 'home fries' were made in the oven. I told you I was a slacker in the beginning. I didn't feel like stirring and constantly watching anything. As for the french toast, my sister had the nerve to ask, 'was it better than what we had the other day?". How about I stop feeding her. I was offended. Of course it was better than the poor excuse for french toast they served at Harris Teeter. Not knocking Harris Teeter as they do have some tasty items on their buffet. It's just french toast isn't one of them.

I told QZ about the french toast. He asked how did I make it. Here's what I told him, milk, eggs, sugar and cinnamon. Here's what I didn't tell him, vanilla. Of course had I had some good bourbon that would have gone in there this time as well.

AJ's French Toast

1 loaf of day old (or more) challah, sliced 1/2" thick
2 eggs
2-3 c. of milk (whole, 1%, 2%, fat free)
3/4 c. sugar
2-3 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp vanilla

Mix the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. I like to soak the bread a little so the batter goes through the entire piece of bread. Drop the slices onto a buttered or oiled griddle or skillet (heated of course). Cook until golden brown. If it still feels a little soft in the middle when browned on both sides, put slices on a baking sheet and put into a 300 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Serve with your favorite syrup, powdered sugar or what you like.

How do you like your french toast? Are you a pancake person as opposed to french toast? What about waffles instead? Ah, but that's another show for another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love french toast. I agree that the key is to soak the bread into the mixture for a while. I had to order some french toast at this little french bistro in San Diego and it was very yummy. My plan is to make some for breakfast tomorrow, we will see if it works out. (azmomx3)