Thursday, May 22, 2008

There's A Chicken in My Fridge

And there's no way that I can turn it into one of those crispy, juicy, tasty birds from Edy's in Baily's Crossroads. I can still smell them. They looked so tasty in their deep golden brown deliciousness. Each tantalizing turn bringing them closer to my plate.

That's my dilemma folks. I make a pretty good roast chicken, but it will never be on the level of Edy's. I don't have a spit and no open flame. Second, I don't think I could fit their giant roaster in our condo. That and the fact that I'd probably have everyone except the vegetarians lined up at my door.

You might ask what I like about the chicken outside of the aesthetics. Well, it tastes good. It's not too salty and it is spiced really well, not heavy. I'm thinking a little salt, a little pepper and some garlic. That part I think I can cover. More than likely I'll give it a little olive oventan lotion (olive oil, if you must know). Here comes the tricky part. I want nice crispy skin, but I don't want a smoky oven. What to do, what to do?! Do you suppose I can employ Alton Brown's wing trick? He put the wings in a rigged up steamer and steamed them. Then put them in the oven to finish cooking and brown. I've got a steam I believe will hold my four pound chicken. Stay tuned and I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: